You probably want plastic surgery recovery to go as well as possible. Recovering from any invasive surgical procedure takes patience and endurance. The amount of these qualities that you will need will depend on the type of surgery that you have. However, there are some tips that can make your period of recovery easier for everyone.
- Buy plenty of groceries, including canned and frozen foods, before the surgery. That will be one less thing to worry about while you are recovering.
- Have ice bags all ready in your home. The hospital or medical center may supply you with some, but you will probably need more.
- Arrange for a family member or close friend to accompany you during this time. If someone cannot commit to a long period, at least arrange for him or her to visit you periodically.
- Get all your prescriptions filled before the surgery.
- Breast Augmentation – The pain can be quite significant after the initial painkillers wear off. Avoid the need for excessive medication by keeping your breasts in the surgical bra.
- Tummy Tuck – You can remove dressings after 24 hours but not the steri-strips. These are tape-like dressings that adhere to the surface of your skin. Let them fall off on their own. Though you may be allowed to shower after a day, avoid immersing yourself in water until your doctor lets you. This is usually several weeks after your drain is removed.
- Facelift – Swelling is one of the biggest problems after this surgery. Minimize the problem by keeping your head elevated for two to three days. This will also reduce total recovery time.
- Liposuction – Swelling and a small amount of drainage from the incisions are normal during plastic surgery recovery. However, watch these areas closely for signs of infection, such as pus or a foul odor.